HISTORY

Basford

The area's placename comes either from "the ford near the home of Bassa" (Bassa's ford) or "le bas ford" — the lower ford.

The Domesday Book records that:
"In Baseford Pagan and Saffrid, William's men, have . . . 3 mills."
"Alvric held of the King, 1 acre of meadow and 2 mills."

The parish church is famous for its "pax stone"

MORE COMING

NEXT

 

CLICK ON MAP FOR ENLARGEMENT OF SANDON STREET

This map shows that most of New Basford had been developed by 1893, and was served to the west by the Midland Railway.

Water works
Cemetery
Daybrook Works
Workhouse
Sanatorium
Inn

NEXT

NEW BASFORD HOME PAGE TWO AT LARGE CONTENTS